Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Hark! A Christmas album to share

As my wife will attest, I do not enjoy Christmas music. I believe it stems from my youth working in retail. Back then, Christmas shopping season began around December 1, not November 1. Still, for 24 days, 8-9 hour shifts, there's only so many versions of Hark! I Hear the Angels Sing before you wish for a good waterboarding as a means of escape.

Don't mistake me for a Scrooge though. I love the Christmas season, and there is some music I do like. I'm a sucker for the Wings classic "Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas Time". It reminds me of my parents' station wagon. We were on our way to stay with our grandparents in Florida and that song would play at least once an hour - and my dad drove for 24 hours straight that year, so you do the math. My sister and I still laugh about that trip.

I also dig anything by Frank Sinatra and Bing Crosby. Those are songs that stand the test of time. Even U2 did an original song for Christmas. And of course, there's this Christmas classic from Bob and Doug Mckenzie. But for years, it seems pop artists are compelled to put out a holiday album - maybe to meet contractual agreements and a Christmas album is the easiest thing to put out. Hell, the song's already done for you. But could you not arrange it to make it sound familiar, yet original? I'm talking to you Beyoncé, Mariah, and Bublé!

Then there are artists who take traditional music and make it beautiful. There's a band out of Texas (a brother and sister duo called The Oh Hello's) that just released a family Christmas album. And I love it. Tyler and Maggie Heath breathe new life into a genre that is sorely needed. Pure, pure joy. Here, stream it yourself, and if you love it as I do, you can download it and pay what you think it's worth.

And I can't leave you without an obligatory beer shout-out, can I? Muskoka Brewery's Winter Beard Double Chocoltate Cranberry Stout. A great stout that will chase away the winter chills. Curl up in front a fire, light the candles, put the kids to bed and enjoy this beer with The Oh Hello's playing in the background. Rejoice!

No comments: