Friday, November 29, 2013

No Bah-hum-beer here

Despite what my wife thinks, I love this time of year. Friends and family gatherings; everyone's smile gets just a bit wider; fond childhood memories drift back from the haze. I don't share her enthusiasm much before Nov. 11. Usually it takes me a few more weeks and the first significant snowfall generally helps.

I'm a little extra-excited this year. Each year, we hold an open house for family and friends. Selfishly, it's our chance to see many people all at once during this busy time. The carrot (other than our charming selves and pleasant children) that I like to dangle is we supply appetizers, wine and beer.

This year is our ninth annual, and my second as a homebrewer. I spent a good portion of my evening last December entertaining the men-folk as we hovered around my newly built keezer with two beer offerings - one was an extract attempt at a cream ale and the other was a Festa Double Oatmeal Stout. Both were relative successes.

In two weeks, I fully intend on regaling the fellas and some of the ladies with more homebrew stories as we gather by the keezer whilst sampling no less than six beer offerings. This is what has got me excited, for each one was lovingly crafted in my garage this fall.

You see, I love brewing beer. I love sharing what I've made even more. And if what I've made makes you exclaim "wow, you MADE this?", that's the best gift I could ever get (other than, say, a gift card from OBK)

This is a great time of year and a great time in general for beer. If you don't believe me, go to your local LCBO and check out all the cool gift packs available, including seasonal releases from Muskoka and Beau's, to name a few.

Cheers

No comments: