Wednesday, May 26, 2010

40 Beers to Celebrate 40 Years! Day 38

Beer: Lowenbrau Original
Type: Lager
Region: Munich, Germany
Rating: Novice

We're down to the final two days, and I'm feeling a bit melancholic. It's been a fun journey and I can't believe how quickly the time goes by. So today, I'm going old school - to a beer I hadn't enjoyed since I was an underage teen going to buy beer in the Depanneur's of Quebec. The goal of course was to get a tall boy or King Can of whatever was on sale or stood out in a fridge at a house party. Lowenbrau was one of those beers that take me back to those days.

Now, the stuff I drank, and was this way from the 70's to 2002, was Americanized, brewed by the Miller Brewing Company, and was much different from the beer that was and is still only one of six allowed to be served during Germany's Oktoberfest. The American version was horse piss, but the German one is noted by it's Original label, distancing itself from the former crap.

It's a very hot day here in Ottawa, and this beer is perfectly refreshing on a day like today. Light, earthy, humble, with a nice golden colour. The medium head disappears VERY quickly. The smell is light malt, with faint spicy, grassy hops. Finishes dry and clean. This is one easy drinking beer that is uncomplicated and does the trick to quench the thirst.

Two days to go...any suggestions?

No comments: