Wednesday, May 26, 2010

40 Beers to Celebrate 40 Years! Day 23

Beer: Gouden Carolus Ambrio
Type: Amber Ale
Region: Belgium
Rating: Intermediate

Small bottle, big alcohol content, HUGE HEAD! That in a nutshell is how I would first describe this belgian ale.

After pouring it into a stemmed goblet, the head grew and would not go down. I really don't think there was any way around it. I thought of shaving it down with a knife, but thought better of it, letting it settle naturally. But I got thirsty, so I went for the froth-stache.

Cloudy caramel colour, it is reminiscent of most typical belgian ales - lots of yeast/malt up front, fruit essences, bitterness, bitter aftertaste that lingers well after the last sip. Flavours definitely fill the mouth (and you'll know what I mean when you take a hefty sip).

At 8% alc, it's surprisingly light, which could hurt you in the end if you enjoy too many.

Small in stature, big on booze!

No comments: