Thursday, April 29, 2010

40 Beers to Celebrate 40 Years! Day Twelve


Beer: Red Stripe
Type: Lager
Region: Jamaica
Rating: Novice

Had some chicken and jerk sauce lying around so I marinated that last night, threw together a nice cilantro rice dish, and topped it off with fried plantains. Yup, the makings of a delicious Caribbean meal. The only thing missing? The beer!

Now, I've never been to Jamaica, but I've heard of Red Stripe. And with it's stubby bottle, hard to miss. So, there were two ways in which I could have paired beer with my meal - lager or bock. Since I'd been doing the dark lately, I thought I'd make the whole evening 'irie', without the ganja.

Red Stripe is a very nice lager, one that could be enjoyed multiple times (and by that, I mean several in one sitting!). It has a clear, golden colour, sweet malt and slight hops, and a clean finish. It comes in at a palatable 4.7% alc.

It is brewed by Desnoes & Geddes Limited, originally a soft drink manufacturer incorporated on July 31, 1918, by Kingston, Jamaica natives Eugene Peter Desnoes and Thomas Hargreaves Geddes.

Let's be honest here - it's not going to win any awards. It's one of the fastest growing beers in the U.S., and here in Canada, it is available in the imported stubby bottle or in a taller, 16 0z can, brewed by Moosehead Breweries.

You can easily line this up against say, a Corona, which will kick it's ass. It's a refreshing summer beer that should be enjoyed while BBQing, sitting around the pool, or kicking it while washing my car (yes, that's an invitation!).

Easy, mon.

No comments: