Saturday, February 20, 2010

Day Eight - Women's Aerial Qualifications and Pin Trading with children


Quite possibly my easiest and shortest day so far.

My shift started at 11 a.m. which means I left the house at 8:30 a.m. If it weren't for the books (thanks Mom) and the view (thanks, God), I'd probably chew my left arm off. I think people commute like this on a regular basis just so that they can live affordably in Vancouver. It is such a beautiful city, but so very expensive to live in.

Sun was served up again for today's weather menu, a beautiful spring day anywhere else in this country. I kind of feel bad for the rest of Canada...kind of.

The 11 o'clock crew was asked if anyone wanted to leave early today by working the transportation mall (where all of the buses leave), or stay and very likely leave earlier than shifts end. With a five-hour round trip commute, I decided to stay. It was a day spent doing Access Control and suntanning, with my day on the mountain ending at two. Sadly, I did miss seeing any of the aerial qualifications, but I was in a position to meet briefly with my friend and fellow patroller Kym. It's actually quite amazing the amount of people I have run into since I've been here. There are literally thousands of people here for the Olympics in a city of millions, and I've spent time with family and shared some great experiences with friends from back home.

While doing a bit of Access Control during Egress (technical term for 'people exiting'), a few kids passed by admiring my pins.

At the Olympics, pins are currency. People collect them from Games to Games, around the world, right up there with stamps, coins, hockey cards, whatever. I started my Games journey with no pins. On my third shift, I was rewarded with my first. By the time I left Whistler, I had 10. Collecting and trading pins is an Olympic sport all on it's own. So when a couple of cute kids come up and admire my pins, saying they need this one or that one for their collection, I turn all mushy and gladly give or trade with them. But when the smoke clears and my Games experiences finish, I plan on saving those pins for my kids, as they may hold some value to them as they get older.

It was a very busy day in Vancouver. Hockey, curling and and speed skating made the Seabus and bus ride very long. Thousands of people lining Granville and Robson St, the fever growing as each day passes, the city swelling with Olympic pride. You can't help but be swept up by it, and even the harshest critics must be softening a bit. On one of my days off, I'm getting up early and taking the bus downtown where I will be part of the excitement and take pictures that will hopefully capture this moment for you.

I had extra time to get some groceries, and with the house to myself, and a bottle of wine to kill, a nice BBQ steak and sweet potato was in order. With weather like this in February, an Ottawan considers this prime patio weather.

So here I am, watching speed skating, sharing my memories. I miss home and my family, but luckily, this city has so many friendly people willing to share a moment with a stranger that the days go by fairly quickly. Thankfully I enjoy talking and meeting new people. It's quite incredible sharing a bus or boat ride with people from around the globe. My own daily United Nations!

Tomorrow it's Men's Ski Cross at Cypress, Canada vs. USA in hockey, and two man bobsleigh - don't be afraid to spend your entire day in front of the television. Could be a golden day for us again. Longer shift tomorrow, 10 to four, and add the commute! Thankfully, I have an extra day off now, so I won't hesitate to sleep in.

Till then, stay cool, fools :)

P.S. - Hey Lisa, I think I've thought of the perfect way to thank my accommodation hosts.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

We are leaving soon to head back up north and will also be enjoying a BBQ at our digs with our 4 friends. The men will be glued to the TV and the women will gossip. Will be coming back earlier so dad can see the Doc. on Fri. Can hardly wait to see you. The boys had a good day on the hill and a couple of runs together after his lesson. Stopped at McD's for lunch. Dad will probably take him back up next Sat. for his last lesson. I'm eager for some of that warm weather that you have been experiencing.SOOOOON...Eagerly await the next blog. Till then Hugs & Kisses

Unknown said...

Just saw your funny face on TV. Did you know that the camera was on you? Tongue out, hands in the air. How exciting to see you. Dad I just you and started to yell. We almost had a Bronze but he tried to move up and caught his skiis. What happened to our lucky loonie in the grandstands? XXOO